Friday, August 15, 2008

A Modern Space for a Wedding in the DC area?






My boyfriend, Greg, and I (I guess I should call him my fiance, but I hate that word), got engaged this year in January. It has been a slow process for us to plan our wedding because well, we've got a lot of time. We've decided on September 19, 2009, or 9.19.09, a fairly lucky date in my Chinese culture. Since I'm not really the traditional bride, I wanted to find a modern space to have our ceremony. In the DC area, it is extremely hard to find a place that would meet my criteria and hold 300 people! We've decided to only invite a select few, about 200, to the ceremony and the rest to the reception, so that has definitely made it easier to look for a place. These are a few that I've been looking at: Art Whino, The Equality Center (for more photos go here), Woolly Mammoth Theatre, and the Newseum.

Art Whino, National Harbor, MD: Great space! High ceilings, white walls, polished concrete floors, great deal for just a short period of time, and I can hang anything up on the walls! The best part is the underground art that will stay up during the ceremony. Lots of Parking.

The Equality Center, Rhode Island Ave, NW: Very modern, lots of digital hook ups, tvs and audio, chairs are included, but can only hold less than 200.

Woolly Mammoth Theatre, D Street NW: Cool space, very industrial, small, and can't commit to dates too early in advance due to their show schedules. Parking is minimal.

Newseum, Penn Ave, NW: Great view of the city! Windows all around, nice space but carpeted floors. Parking is minimal and there is a food minimum when renting the space. I'm not sure what it is, but its with Wolfgang Puck, so its gotta be expensive for just a ceremony.

No comments: